24 de Janeiro de 2003
Fortunately, b2/cafelog is GPL, which means that I could use the existing codebase to create a fork, integrating all the cool stuff that Michel would be working on right now if only he was around. The work would never be lost, as if I fell of the face of the planet a year from now, whatever code I made would be free to the world, and if someone else wanted to pick it up they could.
27 de Maio de 2003
Working backwards, earlier tonight was great. Put WordPress out, which felt great. (…) I ended up not getting out of the house until about 11:30, and after I picked everyone up we decided to go House of Pies (of course) because Ramie and Sarah were hungry, despite Sarah having already eaten twice already that night. (Having big hair must really work up an appetite.) Food was great, but after I stepped away for a phone call from Mike concerning WordPress (he had a funny PHP setup) they managed to pull the salt trick on me. This deserves a tangent.
27 de Maio de 2003
I am very happy to announce that the first release of WordPress is now available for download. A full change log is available, but here is a brief overview of the new features.
- Texturize — So good it’ll make your quotes curl.
- WordPress Links — A link manager with everything you’d expect, from Weblogs.com support to a handy bookmarklet. Manage as many blogrolls as you like, and have complete control over their display.
- XHTML 1.1 — WordPress is complaint with XHTML standards up to 1.1, though by default it sends a 1.0 document type to avoid compatibility issues.
- Highly Intelligent Line Breaks — Occasionally called “
nl2bron steroids,” this brand new function adds line breaks except where there is already a block level tag or another line break.
- New Administration Interface — We’ve made it as simple as possible, and no more. Everything has been restructured from the ground up in a fully compliant XHTML/CSS interface.
- Manual Excerpts — This allows you to handcraft summaries of your posts to appear in your RSS feed and other places.
- New Default Templates — Again we’ve streamlined theses with the latest in simple, easy-to-understand standard XHTML and CSS. And not a CSS hack in sight.
- Plus numerous behind the scenes code cleanups, making this release faster and more stable than ever.
WordPress is available completely free of charge under the GPL license. Enjoy!